Thursday, April 17, 2008

Wishy-Washy

Today I won’t be talking about the job hunt. Since people seem to want to know about me I guess I’ll share a little personal information about how I got to this point in my working life. I am currently 24 years old. I’ll be 25 in May. I graduated from college in 2004 and I thought I would have made my mark on the world by now, but a combination of family health issues and low confidence in my ability quickly derailed my progress. First, I spent the majority of the summer of 2004 on mini vacations with my family which prevented me from getting a regular job that summer. Then I settled in and began what has become a laundry list of jobs. First I went to trade school and took real estate classes because I thought I wanted to be a real estate agent during the day and a writer at night. I passed the test and worked as an agent for about 7 months then kind of sort of worked as an agent for the next 3 months. My major problem was the office I worked for and if I could do it again, I would go to a different branch. Who knows, maybe I would still be in real estate.

Anyway, my departure from real estate marked a turning point in my life. I’m willing to confess now: I’ve been a job hopper ever since. I can’t think of the last job I’ve kept for at least a year. But I have kept most for months and one for 8 months and I always seem to have one. My volunteer/part-time job is still hanging in there (it’s the 8 months by the way) but everything else has faded in to the background. I should have majored in English or Economics when I was in college. But hindsight is 20/20.

Hmm, maybe I should grow a backbone and pursue writing on a more serious level.


Emotional status: Still good.

No comments: