Tuesday, April 22, 2008

As Fate Would Have It

Today was another draining day. It started with what was supposed to be yet another interview. The irony was that I didn’t even want the job, but I was going on the interview because I felt like getting out of the house and because I enjoy being interviewed. I was treating the interview as a practice interview, which I’ve done before (about three times last week to be exact). It’s nice to get hired and feel wanted by a company, even if I have no intentions of working for them. Is it wrong of me to waste a company’s time like that? Perhaps. Anyway, back to the story. I woke up this morning and thought about calling to cancel, but I didn’t want to cancel, so I got in my car an hour before I was supposed to be there because the place was about 20 minutes away, and I wanted to be early and sit in the parking lot until 15 minutes before my scheduled time and I wanted to allow extra time in case of traffic.

So I got on the freeway. The ramp for my exit was backed up, but I still was not deterred. I went down the ramp and thought about alternate ways to go. Then like magic, at the exit where I was going to get off and take the streets, traffic cleared up and was moving smoothly, and I, like the fool I am, thought all was well with the freeway and continued only to come to a screeching halt after I passed the next exit. As if that wasn’t bad enough, I turn on the radio and the very first thing I hear is the traffic report telling me that there is an accident up ahead and the freeway I’m on is backed up for miles. Needless, to say, I wasn’t too happy about that. I immediately thought of a plan B and decided to get off on the next exit and take the streets to a different freeway. As if reading my mind, the traffic report, next told me that the other freeway I was planning on taking was backed up from the exit I was planning on using to get on. I laughed a little to myself and took it as a sign that I was not meant to go to that interview, but I shook off the thought and decided to see what happened. Twenty five minutes later, I realized I would be late to the interview because I had about forty-five minutes to get there, but traffic was barely moving. I called and told him I wouldn’t be able to make it. He told me I could come late and that he understood because many of his employees had called in and informed him that they were stuck on the freeway and would be late. His exact words were “well I have the time, so since you’re already heading in this direction, you can still come if you’d like.” My thought was, ‘hell no, I’m not about to sit in traffic for another hour and a half to come to an interview for a job I know I’m not going to take,’ but I didn’t say that, instead, I politely declined. I finally reached the next exit and got off and turned around and went back home. Obviously I wasn’t meant to go on that interview.

The rest of my day was filled with random errands and a little house cleaning, mixed with a little television watching and a few hours of work on my part-time job. I know, exciting, right?

Emotional status: Happy because fate intervened and stopped me from wasting too much time this morning.

No comments: