Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Out of Touch with the Trends?

The thing about going on interviews is that you meet interesting people. I met more characters today than I’ve met in a long time but this post isn't really about them. There are certain things that I thought were standard for going on interviews. I always arrive extremely early and then walk in fifteen minutes early in case there’s something I need to fill out and because I’ve been told you should arrive fifteen minutes early. I also dress professionally unless told otherwise (which has never happened) and I bring a notebook to take notes and a few copies of my resume. The job market is too competitive to not follow the basic rules of interview etiquette. I say these things because I’ve seen it all today. I saw one woman show up over thirty minutes late and she looked like she had just walked in off the street. An odd looking guy came without a copy of his resume and dressed like he was going to the Indians game or something. Maybe I’m being ridiculous because everyone doesn’t have to do things the way I do them but I thought there were some things that were just basic. Have things really changed that much since the last time I was looking for a job? It can’t be.

The Good and Bad: I went on one interview at a place that I knew I was over qualified for. It was a complete and utter waste of time. They loved me, but I hated them and declined their offer. I haven’t heard back from the other people yet.

Anyway, I feel tired as hell.

Emotional status: Feeling emotionally and physically worn down.

No comments: