Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wrong is wrong and Right is right

I can’t believe all of the ignorant comments that I have read about the Trayvon Martin shooting. If you want to know why people are outraged then read the facts of the case. People on both sides are trying to fan the flames by focusing on other things such as what Zimmerman might have said. I say, we don’t even need to go there. Zimmerman followed Trayvon after a dispatcher told him that he didn’t need to do that. Instead of waiting for the police, he got out of his car and confronted Trayvon. There goes self-defense and any illusion of invoking the “stand your ground” law. Zimmerman was the aggressor. That’s it. Argument over. We can debate Zimmerman’s intentions all night, but I don’t care about his intentions. I’ll give him the benefit and say maybe it was an accident, but being an accident does not preclude the option of a legal consequence. People go to jail for accidents all the time. Zimmerman’s actions directly resulted in Trayvon’s death. The public shouldn’t have to beg the local police department to do their job and enforce the law. Accident or not, an innocent boy is dead because Zimmerman failed to act responsibly. There is more than enough evidence to charge Zimmerman with something, so charge him and let him take a plea deal or take it to court.



I wrote a poem about race:


Simply American

Let’s forget for a second that you and I have different complexions
Let’s pretend like we don’t see color or pick up subtle inflections
I will call you my brother because we are a part of the human race
And you will look me in my eyes when you look at my face
You will respect my right to live in a land my ancestors helped build
And you won’t question why I’m in the house instead of the field
We will fight and argue like all families do
But when push comes to shove, I will be right beside you
And one day we will see with our own eyes
That I am an American, no hyphen, no other A to capitalize.

No comments: