Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Greater Cleveland Aquarium

Yesterday was the busiest day that I have had in a really long time. I was all over downtown Cleveland. That’s news because I rarely ever go downtown. My downtown adventure began at the Greater Cleveland Aquarium. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about so my sister and I went to check it out.





Now here’s the part where I complain. The waiting area is poorly designed. They had two or three chairs that they were using to guide people as to where to turn. Some people bought their tickets online and they still had to wait in the same long ass line that I had to wait in. I thought that was unfair, especially since I had personally witnessed some people who had pre-purchased tickets being allowed to go directly in to the aquarium. Either way though, if you buy your tickets early, you shouldn’t have to wait with those of us who didn’t. Once we made it through the waiting room, the people with pre-purchased tickets were allowed to go directly in and the rest of us had to get on a much smaller line and buy our tickets. The smaller line took about five minutes. In other words, after waiting for over an hour, the people with pre-purchased tickets who were standing in front of me were able to enter the aquarium a whopping five minutes before me. Wow! I bet they felt really great about doing the smart thing and purchasing their tickets before they came. I mean it really made a difference! I think they were mistreated, but who am I. In brighter news, one of the people manning the waiting room was this super cute guy. I didn’t say anything to him, but he was definitely good eye candy and he made my wait bearable. It was fun to secretly watch him. Then he caught me and smiled at me and I had to do everything in my power to stop watching him. I like making up stories about people, so I made up one about him. He’s either married or a playboy because he has that look of either a good husband or a good time. I couldn’t decide which one and I wasn’t brave enough to say anything to him or to ask his coworkers about him.

The aquarium itself was rather small. The water in the shark tank was murky but there was a ten percent discount because of that, so I didn’t think I had the right to complain. I enjoyed seeing the different fish and coral and other aquatic animals, but a part of me felt bad for them. I know this is going to make me sound like a bleeding heart and I’m not. Part of me was struck by the realization that the animals are living in captivity. Most of the tanks weren’t that big and I wondered how I would feel if I had to stay in a confined space while people walked by and bad parents failed to stop their children from running around or tapping on the glass even though the rules specifically said do not tap on the glass and supervise your children.

Overall, I’m glad I went, but I have no plans to do it again anytime soon.

No comments: