Monday, March 26, 2012

Unmarried Straight Couples are the Same as Married Straight Couples? Really?

Some stories make me shake my head. A gay couple with a daughter can’t get a family discount to a local pool and sports club, but “a heterosexual couple, regardless of whether they’re married” could get the family discount. Wait. Come again. I read it a second time just to be sure that I had read it correctly. If Russ Jacobs (the guy over the pool) had said that the gay couple couldn’t get the family discount to because they weren’t a heterosexual married couple, I would have disagreed with him, but I would have been able to dismiss it as our different beliefs. Jacobs went on to say that the decision was based on economics and that if he extended the family discount to the gay couple then he would have to extend the discount to grandparents, cousins, etc. To that I say: He can’t be serious! If it was about economics, then he would limit the family discount to married heterosexual couples because opening the discount to unmarried heterosexual couples cuts in to his profit. The general message that he is sending is: If you’re straight, you get a discount. If you’re gay, you have to pay more. I propose that Jacobs stop giving the discount to unmarried couples. I’d still say he was wrong to exclude gay couples but at least then I could follow his logic.


Click here to read the article.

No comments: