Sunday, March 18, 2012

If Santorum was Vegan...



I’m all for respecting other people’s beliefs, but I draw the line at people like Santorum. Santorum is the type of person who believes in shoving his beliefs down your throat and I’ve never been a fan of oral rape. He’s the type of person who doesn’t appreciate the fact that people are different and we’ll never all be on the same page.  I enjoy bacon and eggs, but I respect vegans. People should be free to eat what they want to eat. A vegan’s choice to avoid anything that comes from an animal is a personal choice. I would never try to slip something in to a vegan’s food. If they want meat then they will have to come to that decision on their own and reach for the meat or the glass of cow milk or the gluten based Teddy Grahams. I’m not going to sabotage them or compromise their beliefs. If I have a party and I know a vegan is attending, I’ll make sure I have a vegan option and if I go to their party, I won’t complain if they only have vegan food. At the same time, I couldn’t be good friends with a vegan who constantly talked down about people who ate animal products.

If Santorum was vegan, he’s the type of person who would try to use his power to force schools to switch to a vegan menu. He’d charge ridiculous fees on meat and any other product that came from animals. He’d do his best to make it as difficult as possible for non-vegans to have access to the foods that they love. Santorum wouldn’t respect the rights of taxpaying law abiding citizens. As some of my friends would say, “Do you and let me do me.” Unless I’m breaking the law, you need to step back and let me live my life. Telling me what I can eat, when I can eat it and how I should eat it is only going to make me a “yes man” and the world doesn’t need yes men, the world needs independent thinkers. Yes men say “sure, war sounds good” instead of “well, let’s make sure it’s the right decision.” Yes men say “sure I’ll kill those people” instead of “well, what did they do?”  Yes men don’t think for themselves and as Malcolm X said, “A man who stands for nothing, will fall for anything.” America is the country that it is because independent thinkers dared to push for progress. I fully support Santorum’s right to believe whatever he wants to believe, but I find it highly offensive and disrespectful that Santorum does not extend the same courtesy to me. America is supposed to be a place where people are free to express their different beliefs and everyone is entitled to life, liberty and the (legal) pursuit of happiness.  Someone really needs to send a memo to Santorum and his constituents because they seem to be under the impression that only one type of person is allowed in America. Unfortunately for them, my friends and I are here to stay, so we need to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Status: Still in disbelief that so many people support Santorum.

No comments: