Sunday, March 25, 2012

Maybe He Isn’t Racist

I didn’t think I would ever do this, but I feel compelled to say something on George Zimmerman’s behalf. His actions do not make him a racist. Make no mistakes, I think Zimmerman was wrong to get out of his car and confront Trayvon. I don’t care if Zimmerman attacked Trayvon or if Trayvon attacked Zimmerman, for me, the case revolves around Zimmerman leaving the safety of his car in order to confront Trayvon. Zimmerman was wrong. Point blank. Period. But that doesn’t mean that Zimmerman was or is a racist.


Did Zimmerman take one look at Trayvon and judge him? Of course he did. Zimmerman judged him according to the stereotype of what a criminal looks like because we all know that in America, only minorities commit crimes. Yes, I’m being facetious, but the news, most newspapers, and the prison rate would make anyone think that minorities are the biggest criminals in America. If we’re being honest with ourselves then we know that minorities are the most watched and hardest punished in terms of the criminal justice system.

What are your true feelings? I took a racial bias test when I was in college. It was an Implicit Association Test, I thought that I wasn’t biased and the results reflected that I wasn’t, but I doubt if the results would be the same today.

Click here to take the test for yourself.

No comments: