Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Twin Transsexuals

Transsexuals have always intrigued me. While other people poke fun at transsexuals and make ignorant comments, I find myself wondering how it must feel to be trapped in the wrong body. I’m reminded of my gender studies class from college, in which I learned that gender is a social construct. I read a Yahoo article on two female twins in China who are living as males and preparing to have gender reassignment surgery. I read a few of the comments and wasn’t surprised to find ignorant comments referring to gender reassignment surgery as mutilation and denouncing the right of the twins to identify themselves as males. When I think mutilation, I think disfigurement. I don’t think surgical procedure. People have gender reassignment surgery so that their outside can reflect their inside.


It is so arrogant of people to presume that everyone either is like them or should be like them. If everyone was meant to be the same then we would be, but we aren’t. So many people have plastic surgery to fix their perceived “flaws” so maybe I should phrase it that way for ignorant people. Plastic surgery helps people feel better about themselves; gender reassignment surgery helps people be themselves.

Click here to read the Yahoo! Article.

No comments: