Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I Need to Slap My Elementary Teachers

I was taught that there was a separation of church and state, yet everywhere I look, the two seem to be intertwined. With Romney and Santorum both insinuating that Obama is not a good Christian, I can’t help but wonder why religion is more important than the real issues. I understand that our country is still not ready for a “non Christian” leader, but do we have to be so blatant about it? While we’re busy accusing people of not being religious enough and while Obama’s staff is wasting its breath by issuing official responses, I’m wondering how a lesbian married couple may face separation by deportation because Vermont recognizes same-sex marriages but the federal government does not. Why is it okay for the federal government to defer to state policies other things, but not this? I have a feeling that everything will work out, but it never should have reached this point. While politicians are busy arguing about things that don’t matter, the rest of us are stuck dealing with the things that do matter.

No comments: