Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hell has Frozen Over..Oh No Wait...False Alarm

I read a headline today that made me take a second look. The headline read US: North Korea to Suspend Nuclear Activities but my eyes read Hell has Frozen Over. I couldn’t believe that North Korea would agree to such terms. I figured there was a catch because there had to be a catch. I read the article and discovered that the agreement was made in exchange for food aid from the United States. As I continued to read the article, I was filled with more questions about the details of the agreement. The article wasn’t clear on whether the moratorium referred to all nuclear activities, or just specific types of nuclear activities.

I don’t believe it for a second. Nuclear activities mean too much to North Korea because it’s the only leverage the country has. Let’s say for the sake of argument that North Korea keeps its word and suspends the activities, how long will the suspension last and what are they going to do once the suspension is over? I have this vision in my head of the leaders of North Korea shaking hands and making promises, but all the while, their fingers are crossed behind their backs.

No comments: