Thursday, January 12, 2012

Torch Song Trilogy


I was randomly thinking about Torch Song Trilogy today. The movie version, not the musical. I’ve seen it a couple of times over the years. I know it is super old at this point (1988….even though I didn’t see it until the mid 90s), but something about it tugged at my heart. It was sad, but it wasn’t sad. I guess bittersweet is the best way to describe it. I was surprised by what happened to Matthew Broderick’s character, but the movie marched on and things weren’t so bad. It’s one of those movies that make me think about the fact that things don’t always go according to plan, but I have to keep moving because there’s always something else waiting down the pipeline. It’s okay if I’m not where I dreamed I would be at my age. I just need to keep moving towards my dreams. I’m not in a position to have things given to me. I have to work for any and everything I want. I know that and I don’t have a problem with that. I need to feel useful and I do. My purpose may be to write but that doesn’t mean that I can’t make a difference with my day job. I’m there for a reason. That’s why I try to make the best of it.

No comments: