Friday, January 13, 2012

Jesus is Love...Isn't He?

I saw this video on YouTube and I had to post it:



His video is clearly aimed at Christians. The video made me think about my own decision to stop going to church. When I was younger, I went to church every Sunday, then that changed to every holiday and eventually it changed to rarely ever. I liked the singing, but I didn’t like most of the other aspects. I tried a few churches, but most of the time I didn’t feel right when I was there. I quickly tired of hearing the latest church gossip and hearing the preacher damn all homosexuals. It wasn’t the right environment for me. I was surrounded by Sunday Christians and I couldn’t help but judge them.

I understand that no one is perfect. Even I, as close to perfection as I am, have flaws. I make mistakes. I do things that aren’t considered “Christian,” but I admit when I’m wrong. In my heart, I believe that Christianity is about love. Religion in general is meant to bring people together; instead, it’s used to pull people apart. I don’t understand how you can hate someone simply because they have different beliefs. I know this isn’t unique to Christianity, but Christianity is the only religion I can comment on. A good Christian should be willing to lend a helping hand, unfortunately, that hand is often accompanied by a stiff arm if you don’t fall in line.

I don’t care about a person’s religion. I have friends who practice a variety of religions other than Christianity, from Judaism, to Islam to Hinduism to Buddhism. I know a few atheists, and that neither bothers me, nor offends me. As long as a person doesn’t trample on my rights or hurt people, I’m all for them practicing or not practicing any religion. With MLK Day so close, I think we all need to reflect on his I Have a Dream speech. Wouldn’t the world be a better place if we stopped judging each other on silly things and took the time to get to know each other on a personal level? Why is it so hard to judge someone by the content of their character? I’m not saying you have to hold hands and love everyone, because some personalities aren’t meant to mesh, but you should at least be respectful of each other.

Okay, I think I’m done with my rant.

No comments: