Thursday, September 4, 2008

No Longer in Love

Have you ever been so in love with someone and then they do one thing and they are completely ruined in your eyes? That’s what happened last night. I was in New York City during 9/11 and that’s when I fell in political love with Giuliani. I watched him in action and was amazed that Giuliani, as the mayor of New York City, showed more leadership skills in a time of crisis than Bush and his entire administration. I loved Giuliani and no one could persuade me otherwise. The more I learned about his policies and political positions, the more I loved him. He wasn’t ultra-conservative but he wasn’t ridiculously liberal either. I’m an independent and most of my family and friends are either democrats or lean heavily towards the Democratic Party. Many of them were outraged when I made it known that if Giuliani was the Republican nominee he would have my vote. They bombarded me with questions such as, “After eight years of Bush, how can you even consider voting for a Republican?” My answer was simple, “I’m not voting for a party, I’m voting for him because I believe he is the best candidate. I agree with many of his policies and above all else, I trust his ability to lead the country during a time of crisis.” Until last night, I adored this man. Now I see that he is no better than any of the Democrats or Republicans and that hurts. His speech left me both shocked and appalled. Now I have to say that I no longer adore him. In fact, I am very disappointed in him.

Status: Seeing living proof that people can watch the exact same event and come up with a million different interpretations.

1 comment:

bow said...

My answer was simple, “I’m not voting for a party, I’m voting for him because I believe he is the best candidate..."

i completely agree, of course. i'm a democrat myself, but if obama was a repunlican with still the same views, i would still support him.

haha, when you first said "no longer in love", i thought you were talking about someone you know in person, so i was like, "awww..."