Monday, September 22, 2008

Lost Families

I watched this show on television called The Locator. I knew I didn’t want to watch it. I knew it would be too sad for me, but I watched it anyway and then I ended up watching episodes of it for two hours. Some people have such sad stories when it comes to their families. The show made me grateful for my own dysfunctional family because at least I know where they are.

This poem was inspired by the show:


Birthright

Desolate places hide within my heart
Barren except for the memory of being pulled apart
The tragedy was not that we were separated
The tragedy is that I remember.

There are people out there somewhere who have pieces of me
Genes that link us forever but could not keep us together
Because biology was negated by law
And an organization meant to look after our well being
Decided we were better off without each other
Your family only wanted you
I, your family by birth, was denied my birthright to be your sibling

You had to lose me in order to be with them
They were the ones who shaped your future and molded your dreams
And I, I was the one thing you always knew was missing
And you were my reminder that life wasn’t fair

We’ll be strangers when we see each other next
But I will love you even then
Because there is nothing strong enough to break our bond
You are my sisters and I,
I am the brother who has spent his entire life waiting for you.


Status: Thinking I shouldn't watch the Locator again.

No comments: