Friday, May 9, 2008

When I Was Your Age, I Bought A 23 Cent Large One Topping Pizza

So I went out and stood in line for an hour and a half to get my 23 cent pizza. I didn’t do it to support LeBron, I did it because it is probably going to be one of those once in a lifetime opportunities for me. I bought a 23 cent pizza! Who can say that (besides the thousands of people who waited in lines across Ohio yesterday)? I’m 24 and when I was 12, a slice of pizza was 75 cents so I paid less for a large one topping pizza in 2008 than I did for one slice of pizza in 1996. Since the money was all supposed to go to charity, I gave a dollar and let them keep the change and before you knock my extra 77 cent donation, keep in mind that most people just paid 23 cents and left it at that.

I was lucky though because I picked the right Papa John’s to go to. Some people waited in line for over three hours. I would never have been one of those people. The longest I’ve ever waited in line was 5 hours to audition for Deal or No Deal and I only waited on that line because if you get picked for the show then you’re guaranteed money. I realize that my chances were slim to none, but I tried anyway. So back to the pizza, I would have drawn the line at two hours. I guess that makes me a bad Cleveland Cavaliers fan, then again some people saw the lines and kept going because paying 23 cents for a pizza wasn’t worth over an hour of their time. Let me explain my rationale for waiting: When I order a pizza, it usually takes about an hour to get to my house anyway, so I figured as long as I wasn’t waiting 2 hours, it was worth it. Plus I didn’t do it for the savings I did it just to be able to say I did it.

I’m happy I did it though because I was at a nice location with friendly people in the line and natural order, unlike some other locations where police had to be called to maintain order. Then again I guess my line probably would have gotten testy too if we had to wait over two hours.

Some people in line were talking about feeling bad for Papa John’s because it was losing so much money. I had to bite my tongue. Papa John’s was not hurt at all by giving away pizzas yesterday. If anything it may have been helped! It was a great marketing ploy if you ask me. A few people on the line had never had Papa John’s before and were looking forward to trying it. They said if they liked it, they would buy from them again. So Papa John’s was able to con all of us idiots in to giving them money to donate to charity and be able to write off the loss of the day. I’d say Papa John’s did pretty well for itself. The only people who lost yesterday were the businesses and the people who lived near a Papa John’s location that had the special because traffic was a nightmare.

I took my pizza home and ate a couple of slices before the game started, then I watched the Cav’s game. The Cavs lost, so my pizza was the only good thing that came out of yesterday and I’m sure none of this matters to people outside of Ohio, but it was a day I’d like to remember so I decided to write about it.

Status: Thinking about yesterday.

No comments: