Saturday, May 17, 2008

Better Than Yesterday

I went shopping again today (no Wal-mart for a change). As I was out, it occurred to me that I haven’t updated my job hunt in a while. I’ve found a freelance position for the next few weeks, which is perfect because my vacation is quickly approaching. Life is looking up for the moment.

I was flipping through one of my old notebooks today and I found a poem I wrote. I don’t know when I wrote it but here it is:


Owned

Depression is a word you claim to own
Syllable by syllable you form your lips around it
Depression is a word you claim to need
Letter by letter it takes you away from the present

You can spell that word forwards and backwards,
Sideways and upside down on most days
You can spell the “d” word without flinching
Stripping depression down to its core

“An unwarranted and prolonged condition of emotional dejection,”
One definition of your state of mind
An unwarranted and prolonged repression of admission
The decision to delineate your condition with one word

Depression, like the puppy you wanted as a child
Or a blanket that keeps you warm and comforts you through the storm
Depression, like the puppy that’s become a large dog with rabies
Or the two faced friend that smiles in your face and laughs behind your back

At first your heart ached to be free, but depression held it hostage
Captivity fostered the Stockholm syndrome you deny
At first your heart remained a necessity then it soon became an accessory
The word you claim to own has made a victim of you.


Status: Two steps away from skipping.

No comments: