Thursday, May 15, 2008

Let's Be Rational

I am very pleased with the California Supreme Court’s decision today. It was a great decision and I hope more states follow suit. The question of gay marriage should never have been placed in the hands of the people to begin with because the people cannot be trusted to vote solely on the legality of the issue. Some courts have made the wrong decisions before, because, in my opinion the judges allowed their personal views to bias their decision. Perhaps there are some legal arguments against same sex marriage but I have never heard one. I’ve heard a lot of religious based reasons and a lot of fear based reasons and a lot of ignorance based reasons, but I have yet to hear a legal reason. My absolute favorite reason against gay marriage is: “Homosexuality is a sin,” which is obviously not a legal reason unless you plan on outlawing adultery and working on the Sabbath as well (one guess which are actually mentioned as sins in the Ten Commandments. Funny how people always seem to forget that the one they hate the most is the one that was left off the list).

Status: Grateful that four out of the seven justices looked at the facts and not the politics.

No comments: