Friday, January 23, 2009

A Warning to Those Who Cheat

I feel like it has been a little while since I shared a poem. It probably hasn’t, but whatever.

Three

Three hours before this moment,
I was betraying the one I love.

As the moment unfolds,
My heart struggles to beat,
Fighting against the urge to stop
My lungs fill with air,
Reminding me to breathe
My eyes dart towards the one who shares my guilt
Hoping to not be seen
My lips begin to expand
Smiling as an involuntary response
My brain fires signals
Making me turn towards the one I love.

In the moment,
The one I love is holding my hand,
Waiting for my response
My voice is muted by the question,
“Do you two know each other?”
My body trembles as the answer becomes clear.

Three hours before this moment,
I was saying I would never be caught.

I squeeze the hand of the one I love,
Trying to hold on to what I am about to lose
My first instinct is to say no,
Preserving my innocence.
My mouth moves to begin forming the word
Then I am silenced by the one who shares my guilt
My secret lover does not wish to be secret any longer

Three hours before this moment,
I had everything I wanted.
Three seconds after it, I had nothing.

Status: Trying to remember what inspired me to write this poem.

1 comment:

bow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.