Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ohio State Buckeyes and a Root Canal

I am finally back and feeling like typing. I spent a week in Vegas for my vacation. I was on an extremely tight budget, but it was nice to get away for a while. I had a toothache and a severe headache for most of the trip but I soldiered on and managed to have a decent time.

This is the first year that I haven’t been at home for Christmas and the second year in a row that I have been in Vegas for New Years. Of course I didn’t go to the Las Vegas Strip, as I have said countless times before, I’m not a big fan of people. Plus it was cold outside. My family and I went to the New Year’s Party at the place where we were staying then we left early and toasted in the New Year in private. I know it doesn’t sound like a great way to bring in the New Year, but I enjoyed it.

Not so happy return: I started my New Year in Cleveland by being told I needed to get a root canal. I had the first part done today and I have to go back next week….yeah.

Speaking of a root canal, I watched the Ohio State Buckeyes lose last night. The only good thing I can say is that it was exactly what I expected. When the Buckeyes scored a touchdown and I looked at the time, I immediately prepared myself for Texas to score a touchdown and win because that is just what happens in Ohio sports (especially Cleveland sports). The irony is that the commentator even made a reference to the time and what some OSU fans might be thinking. The ending of the game was neither upsetting to me nor frustrating. I was ready for it. It still broke my heart a little, but not as badly as it would have if I had been dumb enough to actually believe they would win. Don’t get me wrong, I would have been really happy if they had pulled the upset, but I’m a veteran of losing by one play or one call or inches or seconds or in an especially embarrassing manner, so I find comfort in the fact that OSU was not blown out this time and little surprise in the fact that they couldn't pull it out. It does make me wonder if the hex on Cleveland has somehow been transported to Columbus as well, because I remember when OSU used to win those kind of games and I swear they had a National Title in like 2002. It’s no longer enough to own the Big Ten, OSU needs to win a big game again.

There are actually a few other things I would like to blog about but I’ll do that another day.

Status: Happy that the right side of my face is no longer numb.

1 comment:

bow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.