Monday, January 19, 2009

Dr. King and Obama Want Us to Work Together

Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day and all I’ve heard about all day is how far we’ve come as a nation. It’s true, we have come a long way. And yes, Barack Obama’s win does represent a great leap forward for our country, but I think we’re kidding ourselves if we think that the country will magically change after he is sworn in as president. Surprisingly enough, I’m not talking specifically about race relations. I’m referring to society as a whole. The economy will still be in the tanks, gay marriage will still be only a dream for many, kids in rural and poor urban areas will continue dropping out of school at an alarming rate, race relations will not be magically healed and we will still be at war.

I don’t say this to be a pessimist, though it may come across that way. I say this as a way of agreeing with Barack Obama that we still have much work to do. Obama’s election alone cannot and will not be the magic potion that saves our country, but his election can and should be, the catalyst that inspires us all to be better people and to strive for greater goals. I was watching television today and I saw Obama painting and it made me feel good. Obama asked people to volunteer today and he did not ask anything of the people that he was not willing to ask of himself or his wife.

I’ll admit that I’m getting a little tired of the 24/7 coverage leading up to the inauguration, but I understand why the media is doing it and I understand and appreciate the significance of his inauguration, I just hope the media and the people hear Obama’s call to action and do their part in helping America live up to its potential, as opposed to helping America continue to live down to the world’s expectations of us. We’re supposed to be the United States of America, and I hope this feeling of unification lasts longer than a couple of days.

Status: Looking forward to tomorrow.

1 comment:

bow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.