Sunday, July 5, 2009

How Do You Break Up With a Mormon?

I have a date with two Mormons tonight. Okay, not a real date, more like an appointment kind of date. I’ve been meeting with these Mormon missionaries for a while now, partly out of boredom, but mostly out of fascination. They seem so happy and I wanted to investigate that happiness. I’d love to have the kind of joy they seem to have. During our talks, I have discovered that they have had their own personal battles and they turn to God for everything. I’ve never been a “have faith, sit and wait for the answer” kind of person. I believe in God or at least the existence of some being greater than me but I’m not in to the whole praying to someone to make my life better part. I’m more of a “do your best and hopefully something good will happen” type of person. I confess that I don’t always give my best, but that’s because of my crippling fear of failure. I pray from time to time, but mostly for the health or safety of other people.

Anyway, I’m going on this tangent because I think it’s time for me to break it off. Unfortunately, I don’t know how. How do you break up with a Mormon? How can I look them in their eyes and tell them that it’s been fun getting to know them and they seem like great people but their faith isn’t for me, at least not now? I mean I have enough trouble with things from the Old and New Testament, I really can’t try to wrap my mind around Jesus coming to America after his death. Is it possible? Sure, anything is possible. But I’m not ready to believe that yet. I want Jesus to stay in the Middle East because that’s what I’ve always been taught.

Status: Hoping I can find the strength to send away two of the nicest people I’ve ever met.

1 comment:

Jettboy said...

"How do you break up with a Mormon? How can I look them in their eyes and tell them that it’s been fun getting to know them and they seem like great people but their faith isn’t for me, at least not now?"

Um, how about saying exactly that? They have heard a lot worse I am sure.