Sunday, July 5, 2009

16-14 in the Wimbledon Finals? and Other Random Thoughts about Roger Federer versus Andy Roddick

I’m posting twice in one day! What brought this on? One word: Wimbledon! I had to take a little time to recover after watching an amazing, seemingly never ending Wimbledon Men’s Final. My goodness! What a match! I thought last year’s final with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal was great, and I, like many others, did not think this year’s final could live up to that standard. We were all wrong! This year’s final was a different type of match but it was just as incredible and just as nail biting.

I’m not a fan of long drawn out matches or close games. They drive me crazy. The commentators were all laughing about how the match could go on forever and I was yelling at the television saying, “One of you win it already!”

I came in to the match a little conflicted. I have been an Andy Roddick fan ever since he first emerged on the tennis scene (back when he was dating Mandy Moore). I was thrilled that he made it to the finals but I couldn’t completely root for him. I felt almost un-American not giving my full support to Roddick.

Unfortunately, I love Roger Federer! I wanted Federer to get the record and have his 15th Grand Slam title. It broke my heart last year when Federer lost his Wimbledon title to Nadal. I wanted him to reclaim his title this year, especially since it meant so much. A Wimbledon victory this year, would give Federer back his number one position in the world and solidify his place as the best male tennis player in the open era. It may have taken forever and a bit of luck, but Federer pulled it out!

The match went as follows: Set 1-Roddick 7-5, Set 2-Federer 7-6 (8/6), Set 3-Federer 7-6 (7/5), Set 4-Roddick 6-3, Set 5-FEDERER 16-14. Yes you read that right, 16 to 14! It was a great match that was well fought by both opponents. I wish it could have been a draw, but tennis isn’t one of those sports. In tennis, someone has to win and someone has to lose.

Great job ANDY RODDICK and congratulations ROGER FEDERER! I love you both, even if that love isn’t equal.

On a side note, Andy Roddick is quite cute with his hat on and I like his new body, it’s very nice.

Funniest moment: During Federer’s victory speech, he complimented Roddick on his play and told Roddick that he knows how it feels because he lost a close one last year. Roddick responded by saying something like, “Yeah, but you’d already won five.” Haha. I thought it was funny. The crowd at Wimbledon laughed, but their laughter had that nervous tinge in it that made it sound a bit uncomfortable, whereas my laughter was from the sheer hilarity of Roddick blurting that out. You could tell it was one of those pure thoughts, the kind that flows from your lips before you have time to think about it.

Status: Hoping Andy wins the next one. He deserves it.

No comments: