Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Out of Focus

I have spent the last two days in a mental fog, trying to force myself to focus on things that I should be focusing on instead of being distracted by things of little importance. I feel like my mind has fractured in to hundreds of pieces and each little piece has a different task that needs to be completed. Everything I have done over this 48 hour period has been dominated by thoughts of things I could be doing or should be doing and one thought in particular.

I sign on the internet to read the news and I immediately think I should be updating my blog, or adding something to my website or working on like ten other things. I start editing a story and then I start thinking about my other stories or I think about the current story idea that is parading around in my head begging for attention. I know how I can be sometimes when I get a new story idea and to be honest, I think that’s a major part of my problem.

The solution to my wandering mind is simple: find a corner, curl up with my laptop, and let the short story that is in my head out before it drives me up a wall.

If only life were that simple though. I don’t have the time this week to devote a day to writing so I’ve been trying to make up for it by writing down parts of the story while I watch my primetime programming. I hate when I get obsessed with a new story idea! I can’t wait until I finish writing down this story. The only good part of not being able to focus on anything for too long is that I suddenly start catching up short tasks that I need to do because I keep thinking of things on my mental “to do” list and obviously, the shorter tasks are easier to complete, which helps me feel like I’m at least doing something.

It’s hard to explain how one lingering thought can throw off the balance of other thoughts in my mind.

Status: Wondering if I can truly blame my lack of focus on the story idea or if it may also have something to do with me rebounding from my downward spiral from before…hmm.

No comments: