Monday, December 15, 2008

The Not-So-Secret Secret Service

Okay, I have never claimed to be Bush’s biggest fan, but the whole shoe throwing incident was ridiculous. Was the Secret Service asleep? How the hell does a guy get a chance to throw not one, but two shoes at the President of the United States of America? Are you freaking kidding me! I’m embarrassed as an American that something like that could happen. Although even I had a good laugh at the incident. Thanks to the world news I now know that it is a great insult in Iraq to throw your shoes at someone.

Anyway, where was the Secret Service? Aren’t they supposed to be like a few feet away from Bush at times like those? I mean I halfway expected the guy to throw the shoe and a Secret Service agent to come out of no where and knock Bush out of the way. Heck, I can even picture the agent jumping in front of Bush and letting the shoe hit him instead. I guess I’m not up to date on what the Secret Service does, because apparently none of them do shoe duty. Perhaps I can let the first shoe slide as a complete surprise, but the Secret Service took way too long to get to my President. Luckily my President has a long history of ducking things, so he was fine, but come on. They’re supposed to be the Secret Service, not the First Responders; which is to say that they are supposed to be there before something happens and as something is happening, not just after something has happened.

On a different note, I don’t think the guy should go to jail for a long time, which is what the news is saying will happen to him. Up to 2 years for a shoe? I understand that technically he attacked President Bush, but it was a SHOE people! It wasn’t a knife or a gun or a boot with spurs on it or a shoe with pins or something sticking out of it. It was a regular shoe.

Status: Thinking that the Secret Service is slipping and needs to step up its game, but feeling the need to add that I love the Secret Service in case they happen to be patrolling the Internet :-).

2 comments:

bow said...

i found the shoe incident to be quite funny myself, but i found myself thinking what if it was a gun or a knife? the secret service was too slow, and i didn't know it was a shoe until they said it was, so i doubt the secret service did too. so why didn't they move?? my friends are saying that they wanted bush to be hit too, but i think that they just weren't paying attention... i makes me wonder how much safer they're going to be when obama starts his term.

Lustyville said...

That's what bothers me so much about the incident: what if it wasn't just a shoe? It could have been so many other things.