Monday, December 8, 2008

A Fine Film, oh and that Twilight Movie

Today I watched a movie I had no business watching. It was sweet and sad and tender and heartbreaking. I’m really beginning to seriously fall in love with independent and foreign films. I feel like I should be going to festivals and enjoying these movies first hand. On the other hand, I wasted the day away watching that movie and clips of random movies I’ve never heard of when I should have been working or at least taking advantage of my free time and getting some writing done. I just love an original story or a story that has a way of phrasing things that reaches directly to my heart and knocks on it. Some stories go over my head, some stories are a waste of time, but some stories completely captivate me. The story I watched today had me eagerly waiting for what would happen next so much so that I decided to watch the rest of the movie and be late signing in to work because it was that important to me to know what happened. I haven’t seen a movie like that in a while. It wasn’t a happy story but it wasn’t all dark either and there were parts that were a bit graphic but they were graphic for a reason and not just because they could be.

Speaking of movies, it is with great shame that I confess to going to see Twilight. I felt like such a teenager when I walked up and bought the ticket. The bad part is that I still look like a teenager and I was with a friend who still looks like a teenager so it was weird. It felt like I was traveling back in time. I hadn’t read the book, but I heard rave reviews of the book from people I knew. I expected a teen movie and that was exactly what I got. I tried not to judge the movie too harshly. I was surprised though that the movie was fairly tame considering some of the other teen movies I’ve seen. I’m not so sure what all the fuss is about, but I’m also not the demographic that the book was written for so I’m going to keep my not so nice comments to myself. It wasn’t a bad movie per say, but it was also not a movie that makes you think or moves you in any particular way.

Status: Amazed by the thoughts and artistic expressions of others.

2 comments:

bow said...

My friend and I go to the movies literally once a week. We're completely obsessed with watching dramatic movies, so I can relate to how you feel about those kind of movies haha. If there's one movie I would recommend(although I am not positive it's still in theaters), it would be changeling starring angelina jolie. It was so emotional, it would make Hitler even shed a tear or two haha.

Lustyville said...

I want to see that movie, but I'm waiting until it comes out on DVD so I can shed a few tears in the privacy of my own home. I could tell by the preview it was going to be heart wrenching and I know how sensitive I can be sometimes.