Monday, March 24, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Sometimes I wonder how my time manages to slip by me so quickly. I was in West Virginia most of Friday, Detroit on Saturday and part of Sunday and then I was home. I didn’t know what happened all weekend, but I had a welcomed surprise on Sunday, when one of my closest friends who I hadn’t spoke with, outside of instant messaging, for at two months called me to wish me a Happy Easter. It made my day and then when we called one of our friends and spoke with them, I felt even better. It was good to hear their voices as opposed to just seeing their words on the computer screen or on my cell phone. Instant messaging and texting are great and I use both because I’m not big on talking on the phone anymore, but occasionally it’s nice to be able to laugh with someone and follow that up by making fun of their laugh or how hard they’re laughing. I’ve had some good laughs from messages I’ve received but you can’t share that laughter with the person who caused it unless you’re communicating directly with them in a more personal way.

How sad is it that now an actual phone call can be considered personal? I’m not that old, but when I was younger, seeing someone face to face was personal contact and telephone calls were a way of instant communication. Things change no matter how hard you fight against them. I tried not to become a texter, yet my friends pulled me in to it anyway. I love texting though because it’s a great cop out for me on the days when I don’t want to communicate on a more personal level which is most days. I text my message and I don’t have to worry about thinking of something else to say or talking about something I may not want to talk about.

Emotional status: Happy to be home and writing again.

No comments: