Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Good as New

I worked hard today but I wished I was writing instead. I had a lot of ideas that I jotted down but I’m trying not to write any more short stories until I finish some other things first. I haven’t even started putting up the previews of my stories on the site. That is on my to do list but it definitely isn’t a priority.

I was washing dishes, the old fashioned way. I started scrubbing a saucepan and the thick brown layer on the outside started to come up. The next thing I knew, I spent an hour scrubbing the pot until it looked brand new again. The pot is as old as I am, but it doesn’t look that way anymore. Gone are the signs of how well used it truly is and back is the silver shine that was once there along with the smooth feeling as your fingers touch it. I do that from time to time: scrub away the rough spots on a random pot or pan and make it look like new again. There’s joy in it for me and a lot of satisfaction. I don’t do it all the time, so I won’t act like it happens on a regular basis, but about once every 8 or 9 months I’ll wash something and feel the need to clean it as good as I can. All the scrubbing is relaxing to me and I do a lot of thinking while I scrub. The worst are the pots or pans that I can’t scrub clean; the ones that I have to give up on. I don’t like that. I like the idea of being able to fix things and make them almost as good as new. Although I guess that is reflective of my nature in general and not just my random scrubbing moments.

I notice strange things about myself sometimes.

Emotional status: At one with the universe.

No comments: