Thursday, September 16, 2010

Goodbye Reid and GOOL and hello Ste.

This day has been full of surprises but most of them haven’t been good. I had an interesting day at work. Most of my students have fallen in line, but I have one class that is trying its hardest to rebel.

I was over at After Elton today and I read that one of the actors from Beautiful Thing (the guy who played Ste), is going to join Hollyoaks. I may have to actually watch a couple of episodes and see how the new gay storyline is. I can’t believe Beautiful Thing was released in 1996. Seeing the year was a wtf moment. 1996! Are you kidding me? That movie is that old? I remember the first time I saw it. I was in a room by myself. It was late at night and I was scared that someone would come in and catch me watching the movie. It must have been on IFC because that was how I got my gay movie fix back in the day. There are moments in that movie that I will never forget. I remember certain scenes quite vividly. I especially remember feeling the sexual tension between Ste and Jamie when Jamie was putting the ointment on Ste’s back. It was sweet and innocent and there was nothing romantic about it yet I there was something about Jamie’s tenderness and the way Ste let his guard down.

Anyway, I’m sad. Not because I realized I was in middle school when the movie was released or because the guy who played Ste is all grown up now, but because As the World Turns killed off Reid last week and is killing the show this week and to top it off, I went to After Elton, after a hard week of teaching, in hopes of reading Gays of Our Lives and reading what all of my favorite men have been up to this week and what they will be up to next week. Turns out this is pretty much the last week of Gays of Our Lives. That sucks. I read the reasoning, and I understand, but that doesn’t mean I agree with the decision. I know I shouldn’t be complaining. I’ll continue watching my men on YouTube and other sites, but I was a little bit addicted to checking GOOL at some point during the week and I don’t like losing pieces of my routine.

I know I’m overreacting about GOOL. I always watch my favorite couples on YouTube first so it shouldn’t be a big deal that Anthony is going to discontinue his column, but for some reason that hit me hard.

Status: Thinking I should be frustrated and upset and wondering why I’m feeling a sense of loss over things that shouldn’t matter.

No comments: