Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ramblings of a Cleveland Browns Fan mixed with a WTF Eric Wedge

Cleveland is a crazy town. Live here long enough and you’ll learn that. We will sing your praises on Monday and ask for your head on Tuesday. It’s the way we work. Give us instant results or go back to the bench. I remember a lot of fans were calling for Brady Quinn to be the starting quarterback. “It was his time.” “This would be his year.” Funny how, some of those same fans wanted him to be benched after his first two games and he was benched during the third game. Even funnier is that Derek Anderson, the former starting quarterback, came in the game and screwed up a little worse than Brady. I mean come on people. Derek Anderson should have been hungry to get his position back. He should have left his heart and soul out on that field so he could walk off and give Brady a smug “How’d you like that?” look. Instead, the best he could muster was to simply show up and be in position. When DA walked off the field he should have looked at Brady and shook his head, like “yeah, I know, we both suck.” There was one point during the game when DA was in and the cameraman panned to Brady and Brady had a slight laugh that he tried to mask as a grin. I couldn’t tell if the laugh was from watching the mockery that was the Browns team as a whole, or if the laugh was because DA had just screwed up. Either way, it was well deserved. The Browns stunk up the field on offense and defense for a third straight game. The best part for me was when DA slipped and fell all on his own. It really summed up the kind of game it was.

Don’t get me wrong, I knew going in to the game that the Browns didn’t stand a chance of beating the Baltimore Ravens. That’s why I barely watched the game. I turned periodically to check the score and maybe watch a minute or two of action, but nothing major. I thought for the longest time that we would finish the game with 0 points, but fortunately we were able to squeeze out three. I was happy about that. As a Browns fan, I have to take the small victories as they come, and the way they played, three points was an undeserved miracle.

It’s been announced that DA will start the next game, because he is obviously the better quarterback (yes that statement is dripping with sarcasm and no that statement is not meant to imply that Brady is any better. I think they equally suck.). I remember two years ago when DA was decent, but he hasn’t been the same since. In truth, it was his offensive line that was good combined with the fact that the players actually caught the ball. But back to the quarterback controversy: some fans are calling it a season and saying that we might as well leave Brady in so he can get experience this season and hopefully do better next year. I know it’s sad that we’re only three games in to the season and a lot of Cleveland fans have already thrown in the towel, but I can explain. Last season, we sucked, but not nearly as bad as we have sucked in these first three games. Anyway, I’m going to be a disloyal fan, as I can be sometimes, and say why not throw Brett Ratliff (our third string quarterback) in and see what he can do. What’s the worst that could happen? We lose. Haha. I say if we don’t beat Cincinnati, then DA should be benched again, and Ratliff should start. If he loses then we can take the league by surprise and get Josh Cribbs to try being a quarterback again (he was a quarterback in college). Our expectations won’t be very high. Just score a freaking touchdown and you get to be the starter for the next game. Now that I think of it, why not rotate the quarterbacks until one of them scores a touchdown. Brady does the first half, DA does the second; next game: Ratliff does the first half, Brady does the second; next game: DA does the first half, Ratliff does the second, etc. If you score a touchdown you get to stay in the whole game. I think that’s fair. I’m not really worried about our quarterbacks developing a rhythm, that hasn’t worked for us yet. I say focus on scoring.

I’m not quite ready to forfeit the season yet, but if push comes to shove and we lose a couple more games in equally horrible fashions, then I say decide who you want to be the starter for next year and let him play out the rest of this season.

On a different note, I find it absolutely hilarious that Wedge, and his entire coaching staff, have been fired but are going to coach the last 6 games for the Indians. Hmm. Why not wait until after the last game and then fire them? If Wedge actually does show up for the games then he is a better man than me. If you publicly announce that I’ve been fired, you don’t have to worry about seeing my face again. I’ll flash you the peace sign and be out.

Status: Thinking I need to take a break from watching sports.

No comments: