Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Look Here Kanye, Learn How to Act Right

I know this commentary is late. I wasn’t going to say anything about it, but I’ve been hearing about it all freaking day and Federer lost so I need something to bitch about before I go to bed and this seems like the most convenient topic.

I hate to disappoint Kanye West, but music award shows haven’t made sense in a long time, so why did he expect anything to be different? How do you win best video of the year, beating out all the guys and all the girls and not win best female video? Hmm. That’s like turning 8 before you turn 7, but it’s how award shows do business. Most years they like to share the awards, that way it’s always a real surprise when someone comes in one year and wins a lot. I love Taylor Swift. I’ve been a fan of hers since her first album. I know you’re probably expecting a “but” here, sorry to disappoint you, I don’t have one. I like her. I was happy that she won and pissed off when Kanye disrespected her and robbed her of her moment. Hopefully that will be his last temper tantrum for a while. I’m glad Beyonce gave Taylor the stage at the end so she could finish her speech.

I don’t watch award shows expecting the person I like to win or expecting all of the artists to be grouped in what I deem to be the correct category. Truthfully, I watch the award shows for the performances and for the shocking moments like Kanye and Lil Mama both getting on the stage when they did not belong there. Where was MTV security? Could I have walked on stage if I wanted to? Oh and Lady Gaga is trying way too hard to be different. When you try that hard it stops being “different” and starts being “special.” Yes, I said it.

Status: Bummed because Federer lost. I admit it hurt a little and has taken me a few hours to digest it. Not even the Williams Sisters winning the doubles could make up for Roger losing. :-(

No comments: