Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Just a Question of Love


I’ve mentioned this movie before, but I’m not sure if I ever posted it. I keep thinking that I wanted to post it, but there wasn’t a copy that I could post. Anyway, I have been watching clips of this movie for years now and I finally spotted the full version on YouTube. 

The movie aired on television in France almost 13 years ago. It’s a beautiful story about falling in love and making bad choices and working your way to an ending that isn’t necessarily happy, but isn’t sad either.  You can’t force people to accept your choices or to do things your way, just like you can’t shut off love once you’ve allowed it to take root. I watched the entire movie over the weekend and I fell in love with it all over again. I’m sure you will, too. 

Brief synopsis: Laurent’s family rejected his gay cousin and his cousin died soon after. The death hurt Laurent’s soul and he pulled back from life and stopped trying in school. He used his roommate as a beard so that his parents wouldn’t suspect that he was like his cousin. As fate would have it, Laurent is given an opportunity to salvage his academics by doing an internship with a cute man (Cedric) who is hiding from the world for his own reasons. The two men fall in love and then they have to deal with what being in love with each other means for both of their lives. Cedric doesn’t want to hide their relationship from anyone, but Laurent isn’t ready to tell his parents his secret. 

The movie is a hard journey, but it’s worth it.


Just a Question of Love

No comments: