Sunday, January 20, 2013

If I Had a Dream


Martin Luther King Jr. Day is tomorrow. When I think of him, I usually think about his I Have a Dream speech that I read as a child. Now days, I wish I could change it and add that a man should not be judged by who he loves but rather by the content of his character. The Defense of Marriage Act bothers me. I think it is unfair and unconstitutional and an embarrassment to our country. I am relieved that not all Republicans support it, but disheartened that the House Republican leadership is using money to defend it. I thought the Republican Party was all for States’ Rights? If a state has decided to allow gay marriage, how can members of the Republican Party support a law that essentially renders legal marriages within a state as null on void on the federal level? If a state recognizes gay marriage then every gay couple that marries in that state should have the same federal benefits as straight couples. I know there is a division within the Republican Party about this topic and I hope that the side I agree with is able to reason with the other people. DOMA is not an asset to the Republican Party’s platform; it is a hindrance. I’m not saying that the party has to come out in favor of gay marriage or publicly change their position, but I do believe that the party would benefit from waving the white flag on DOMA. The House Republican leadership should quietly back off and just stop fighting against it and let the chips fall where they may. Allow states to make the decision and move on to winnable battles.

No comments: