Thursday, July 26, 2012

Mea Culpa – Lusty Eye Candy is no More

I recently read two articles about the illegal use of photographs. The articles were very informative. I was shocked to learn that I may have infringed on someone else’s copyright. I started Lusty Eye Candy because I noticed a few other bloggers had similar things. When it comes to blogging, I tend to be more of a follower than a leader because I don’t know many of the rules. I thought it was enough to give credit to where I found the picture. To avoid copyright issues I went to Tumblr instead of Google Images. In my stupidity, I thought that the people who were posting pictures on Tumblr must have held some kind of rights for those pictures. I saw that pictures could be reblogged and thought it was okay for me to blog a picture too, as long as I acknowledged the Tumblr portfolio that I pulled the picture from. I rationalized that if I selected older images, they would have been on Tumblr long enough to have been noticed if they infringed on anyone’s copyright. I realize now that I am an idiot. Just because the site says that you have to own the rights to anything you post, doesn’t mean people listen and doesn’t mean that the site checks. I thought I was doing the right thing, but now I know that Tumblr is right on par with Google Images.


Tumblr is no YouTube! I post YouTube videos all the time. YouTube is a beast when it comes to copyright. Although I guess in a few years I could be reading about why embedding videos is wrong. I doubt it though because YouTube puts advertisement on pretty much everything so someone’s getting paid every time one of my embedded movies is watched (not me of course, but whatever).

Anyway, I have deleted all of my Lusty Eye Candy posts because I don’t know who owns what and I now know that simply giving credit to where I found the picture is not enough. As my mother would say: “When you know better, you do better.”

I’m sure I probably need to go back through my other posts and check the copyright for some random images that I may have posted over the years. I’m hoping to do that soon, before I forget that it needs to be done.

Below are links to the two articles I read that scared the bejesus out of my broke behind:

No comments: