Thursday, July 12, 2012

If Ever There Was a Time to Buy American…

I try not to go off on tangents, but I read something today that really bothered me. I don’t have a problem with the fact that some of America’s Olympic athletes were made in other countries, but I do have a problem with the American uniform for the Opening night ceremonies being made in China. That’s right, the uniform that the AMERICAN athletes are going to wear in the Opening Ceremonies will not be American made. What the hell is that about? Are there no American factories that were capable of producing the outfits? I’m sure most American clothing factories would have been excited to receive that order. I understand that it’s a business decision and that I don’t know anything about business, but I’m from Cleveland, so I know a lot about loyalty. The American Olympians will be holding the American flag while wearing a uniform that was designed by an American, but made in China. I’ve never supported the “Buy American” movement because people are often misguided as to which products are more American than others but in this case, I’m going to make an exception. How could the people who made this decision not buy American? Did they not realize that you can’t slap an American name on it and call it American? That’s just as disgraceful as the Fords that are made in Mexico. I’m almost tempted to ask where the American flags that will be used during the Opening Ceremony were made, but I’m afraid that I might not like the answer.

Here is the official preview picture of the uniforms:




Disclaimer: As I said previously, I’m not involved in the “Buy American” movement. I don’t look at where a product is made before I buy it, because I’m not that concerned with it. I don’t care if the outfits that the athletes wear on the other days aren’t made in America, but Opening Night should be an all American blackout. Everything the athletes have on (minus the hair for some of the ladies) should be American made.

No comments: