Wednesday, June 20, 2012

It’s Okay for Gay People to Support Romney


I read an article about a gay conservative group (GOProud) that came out and endorsed Mitt Romney. For me the key word was “conservative.” Who is a conservative group supposed to support if not Mitt Romney? Unfortunately, there are only two viable options for president: Obama or Romney. I wish there was more variety, but there isn’t. The lesser known candidates will be nothing but blips on the ballot. As such, sometimes people have to make difficult decisions. The GOProud group voted and decided that their larger political beliefs outweighed everything else. I can respect that.

Romney is in favor of a federal marriage amendment, the gist of which will be: gays need not apply. People don’t understand how a gay group could support Romney. I say, why not? This group is conservative first and gay second or third or fourth or who knows. Romney falls in line with more of their values than Obama does. Why support a guy who only shares a few of your values when you can support a guy who shares a lot of your values?

People vote against what’s in their best interest all the time. This is America. They are allowed to do that. I wouldn’t knowingly do it, but I’m not going to knock them for working towards what they believe is the greater good.

No comments: