Sunday, April 8, 2012

Man Laws





A friend shared this on Facebook and I thought this video was funny. People come up with such silly “rules” and I think the video did a good job of capturing the way people look at you when you don’t fit in the box. The three guys lived together and had become more like brothers. “Man Law” doesn’t apply to brothers. They treated the other guy like they treated each other but he wasn’t close enough to them to understand that they didn’t mean anything by it. I can’t explain the Brokeback lotion though, so I’m going to leave that one alone.

This video made me think about a recent experience that I had. I went to a store around 10 at night. Two guys pulled up in a car about the same time I pulled up. We all went in the store. I grabbed my items then headed to the register. When I reached the register, I watched one guy go to the car. The other guy was in line in front of me. He asked for two condoms, the clerk took his money then handed him the condoms. The guy walked outside. I went out about a minute later and the two guys were still there. They were sitting in the car. It looked like one was on the phone. I immediately assumed that they were trying to arrange a late night hookup with some girls. I got in my car and drove away. I was almost home when it occurred to me that they could have been together. I associate a young guy buying condoms at night with a booty call, but in reality he could have just as easily been buying them to use with his girlfriend or boyfriend, it didn’t have to be a hookup. I made an assumption based on the fact that he didn’t buy a lot of condoms, which would imply a relationship. He asked for two condoms. In my mind, that said, “I need condoms for tonight and that’s it.” My point is that I have certain preconceived notions in my head. Just like in the video, the main character judges the other guys based on his preconceived notions of what men should and shouldn’t do. I have actually heard a couple of those rules before, so it was even more amusing to see them demonstrated.

No comments: