Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lazarus Syndrome or Miracle?

I could write about the Trayvon Martin case, but I’m all Trayvoned out today. Charges have been filed so I’m just going to sit back and watch things as they unfold.

I’m going to write about a baby in Argentina. The baby was declared dead. Her body was taken to the morgue and refrigerated. Hours later, her mother wanted to see the baby at the morgue. The baby cried. Everyone wants to call it a miracle. One person called it the Lazarus Effect in the comments. I looked it up. It could have been a thing called the Lazarus Syndrome.

I accept the possibility that it could have been a miracle or the Lazarus Syndrome, but I offer a different alternative. My first reaction was “hmm, I wonder if someone made a deal with the devil.” I know that’s a horrible thing to say, but after so many sci-fi stories, I can’t help but acknowledge the possibility.

Status: Buying in to the idea that it was a miracle because we all need to believe in miracles.

No comments: