Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stop-Loss

I finally got around to watching Stop-Loss. I have wanted to see it since I saw the original trailer but there were always movies I wanted to see more, so I kept putting Stop-Loss on the backburner.

Stop-Loss has to be one of the most underrated movies I have seen. I was surprised by how good it was. I’m not saying that the acting was perfect or the depictions of the situations were 100% accurate or that the script was without a flaw, but I am saying that it was beautiful in that it told the stories of so many different types of soldiers without casting judgment on any of them or taking sides. It didn’t try to paint a rosy picture of every soldier loving the army, but it also didn’t flat out bash the army or the war. It simply told a story about the different ways that people’s lives were changed by the war.

Maybe I read more in to it than I should have because the image of Ryan from the Real World crying after he received the news of his stop-loss papers is still fresh in my mind. I felt so bad for him. He was trying to move forward with his life and he got pulled back.

Status: Wishing there was a way to adequately thank every member of the military for their service.

No comments: