Thursday, October 9, 2008

You're Stupid! No You're Stupid! No, You're Both Stupid.

Alright, I’m fine again. After a warning from the assistant principal, my problem class has turned it around. They still talk during class, but they whisper, which is okay with me.

Other than teaching, there has been a lot of nothing going on in my life. I keep getting distracted by things that shouldn’t concern me and I’ve been wasting time like nobody’s business. I did manage to see this interesting documentary about the 2004 election titled, How Ohio Pulled It Off. The documentary was about accusations of election fraud in Ohio. I found it really interesting, not because I’m a conspiracy theorist, because I’m not, but because I’m from Ohio and I remember all the stories I heard from people about things that seemed a little shady.

People never fail to amuse me. Die hard Obama fans can’t understand how any sane person would vote for McCain and die hard McCain fans can’t understand how any sane person would vote for Obama. It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so serious. Both sides keep belittling the other like children. I have seen so many things that just make me shake my head. I can’t only blame the fans though because both campaigns are being downright nasty towards each other too. I’d like to thank both sides for reminding me why I hate most politics.

I swear I said I wasn’t going to comment on politics for a while, but I couldn’t stop myself after I read an article and then skimmed over the comments on it and saw what people were saying. Name calling doesn’t do anything but beget more name calling.

Society wonders how our children are so quick to name call, I say look at the parents. Even as adults, many of us, myself included most times, act like juveniles. Adults are supposed to have a larger vocabulary than children, so why do we often use the same insults and quick retorts as children? Are we that limited in our thinking? Can we not form an intelligent argument? Calling someone stupid because of their opinion is not going to make them suddenly see the light and adopt your beliefs. I will admit that I have thought someone was dumb because of their positions, but I have never said that to anyone, because I accept the possibility that I may be wrong and I respect other people’s rights to their opinions no matter how dumb they may seem to me. I’ll debate any issue with anyone at any time, but I won’t call them stupid when I can’t think of a valid counterpoint.

I’d also like to tell all the children to take notes from both campaigns. Stretching the truth is no longer lying; it’s simply manipulating the facts to suit your needs, and that is fine, so don’t let your parents tell you differently.

Status: Wishing I had the power to make tomorrow Election Day because this mess needs to end.

No comments: