Saturday, October 25, 2008

I'm Hoarse

I am sick. My throat hurts and I feel horrible. My voice is gone and I wish it wasn’t. I hate the sound of my strained voice. I miss being able to speak and sound normal.

I handle being sick in two ways: I let the sickness run its course or I take medicine. When I let the sickness run its course, I focus on either drinking more liquids if I have the flu, or trying to keep food down if I think it’s a cold. When I take medicine, I do the wrong thing. I’m bad at taking medicine. I take too much. Not like a ridiculous amount more, but definitely more than is recommended or I take one medicine and then take another a short period later. Amazingly, I’ve been doing that since I was a teen and I have yet to drug myself. I joke about it sometimes. I’ll tell my sister, well if I can’t wake up in the morning tell the doctors that I took blah, blah and blah. I don’t mess with prescription pills. I’m only talking about over the counter medicines and herbs. I have been known to take three Echinacea at a time when I’m sick. I think the regular dosage is one.

As if that isn’t bad enough, I can’t swallow pills. It’s completely a mental thing. I always buy medicine that I can drink or suffer through chewing. For the record, medicine tastes nasty. Occasionally I have to open up capsules (like Echinacea) and take it that way or break liquid-gels in my mouth and swallow the liquid then throw out the outer part. Unfortunately, a lot of the newer pills are meant to be time released, and when I chew it like that, I’m getting the full dosage at one time.

Anyway, this is one of my weird habits that I have. Now that I’m writing it, I wonder why my parents never stopped me when I was younger. It’s definitely a bad habit. All my mother used to do was warn me against it but she never stopped it. I think she knew I wouldn’t overdo it, but how could she have been so certain? What if I messed up one time? Hmm, I never thought about it that way.

So I’m sick and yet I’m on the computer posting to my blog, why is that? The answer is simple: I got tired of laying on the sofa taking medicine and sipping drinks and napping and since my voice is gone, I can’t really communicate well verbally, so my options were limited. I’m tired of sitting at the computer though so I’m going to see what’s on television.

Status: Sick, but trying not to be miserable.

1 comment:

bow said...

aw, I'm sorry I hope you feel better

I hate being sick because I feel like I forget what's it's like to feel healthy, and that feels like I'm going to be sick forever...