Monday, May 7, 2012

Twins: Black and White, Gay and Straight

I saw this documentary on twin brothers from England, one born black and gay, the other born white and straight. They had a white mother and a black father. I have quite a few mixed race relatives, so I was intrigued by the story. What stood out to me is that Daniel, the “white” twin, has gotten darker as he’s gotten older. He describes himself as “golden brown” and I think that is an accurate description. If I saw him on the street, I wouldn’t think that he was white. I might think that he was mixed or something else, but not white. He doesn’t look “white” in my opinion. I have a couple of cousins who are lighter than him. What I liked about the film, was the emphasis on the fact that it shouldn’t matter. Daniel said that he didn’t check a box when asked about his race.


Here is the "Twincredibles" documentary:

No comments: