Thursday, July 3, 2008

Uninvited

I realized today that the reason why I’m not a big fan of unannounced visitors is because I prefer to mentally prepare myself for visitors and when someone drops by unannounced, I don’t have time to prepare. I had a relative drop by today and they were the second unannounced visitor I’ve had in the past three days. I understand that my family and I were gone for a long time and people want to see us, but is it too much to ask that people call first? Calling does everyone involved a favor. Calling allows me to get ready to socialize with company and calling assures the company that they are not wasting their gas or their time and energy stopping by to see me. What if I wasn’t here? I’m not saying people should call hours in advance or anything like that. I’m saying, if you’re around the corner, or down the street and you’re thinking about stopping by, just call and say something like, “I was headed your way and I just wanted to make sure you were home.” I promise I’ll respond kindly and I’m not going to tell you I’m running late or on my way out, unless that’s the truth. I don’t mind as little as a two minute warning. I just want a warning.

Status: Thinking I need to find a way to be happy people care.

No comments: