Friday, May 1, 2009

A Little Basketball Obsessed

This has been quite a long week. I’ve been doing a lot of manual labor in addition to assisting with academic work that is not mine. To make matters worse, I have found myself captivated by the NBA playoffs as if I’ve never seen them before. The Chicago-Boston series is completely amazing and though I want Boston to lose because they took my Cavs out last year, I don’t think I’d be disappointed if either team won because both have put in the work. Wait I take that back, I will be disappointed with Chicago if they lose because the series was theirs for the taking. They had ample chances to win both the second and the fifth game and they squandered them and let Boston close the gap in the fourth quarter and march on to victory. I can’t take another overtime though so they better get it decided in regulation.

I’m ready for the Cavs to go back to action, so hopefully the Atlanta-Miami series wraps up tonight. I wonder if Mo Williams could get away with the things Rondo has gotten away with…hmm, why do I feel like the answer to that is a resounding no? I don’t like to join in on the conspiracy theories, but I’m just saying, if any other player on any other team with the exception of maybe LeBron and possibly Kobe, did the things that Rondo has done, they would have been suspended. Hell, even Dwight Howard got suspended! I guess Rondo has to actually throw a punch before anything happens to him. I was going to say he has to actually hurt people, but I think causing guys to get stitches qualifies as hurting them. I don’t think he’s a malicious thug like some Chicago fans are painting him, but I will admit that he has been doing some very questionable things. I know it’s the playoffs and you foul harder and all that crap, but there’s no excuse for some of the things Rondo has done. Some Boston fans have said that Hinrich started the most recent altercation with Rondo because he was boxing him out unnecessarily, um, okay, so the next time somebody boxes Mo Williams out unnecessarily I guess he should pull them by their arm and then throw them out of bounds and in to the scorer’s table. People may say that Hinrich was wrong for squaring off with Rondo but I don’t blame him. It was the second time he got jacked by Rondo and if the refs aren’t going to defend him, then who should do it? Hinrich manned up and made it clear to Rondo that he was not the one to mess with.


The Second Hinrich Incident:



All that said however, the loss in game five in which Rondo did his best to take out Brad Miller cannot be blamed on the refs not calling the flagrant foul, or on Brad Miller probably being dazed and confused, the blame for that loss belongs to the Bulls and their coach. The Bulls had a decent lead in the fourth quarter and they let Boston come back and win the game. That is inexcusable and doesn’t garner much sympathy from me.


The Brad Miller Incident:


Status: Eagerly waiting to see the final game between the Bulls and the Celtics.

No comments: