Saturday, May 9, 2009

Give Me My Chalupa

I’m not sure what’s going on with me. I literally worked my ass off all week. I was helping my father get a house ready for a tenant to move in. We did a bunch of repairs and cosmetic things. My week was extremely hectic. I spent the days doing manual labor, the afternoons/early evenings tutoring and then I edited papers for some of my family members and watched quite a few playoff basketball games. Somehow I still managed to go out and celebrate Cinco de Mayo even though I don’t have a Mexican bone in my body, and I went out to eat a couple of times. I’m actually impressed that I found time for some fun things this week.

As a Cleveland fan, I’m happy that the team is winning. I thought it was funny that the announcers made fun of the Cavs’ fans because of their reaction to Tuesday’s victory in which the Cavs scored 99 points and fell one point shy of clinching chalupas for all the fans in attendance. When the Cavs are blowing out the other team, what else do you have to look forward to except for the chalupas? It was ironic though that the Cavs could have scored again, but opted not to because they wanted to show some class, yet the fans were upset about their chalupas. I guess I should point out that it was Cinco de Mayo. You know it wasn’t much of a game though when all the fans have to talk about is not getting free chalupas. I’ve actually heard some Cleveland fans complaining that none of the games so far have been competitive. Are you kidding me? As a Cleveland fan, you should be ecstatic that the Cavs are blowing out the opposition. Have you forgotten how Cleveland sports’ teams historically fare in close games? Need I remind you of “the shot,” “the drive” or the countless other incidents that have robbed us of important wins? Do you want to talk about the homer that lost the World Series for us in 1995 or how we had a one run lead going in to the bottom of the ninth of the seventh game of the World Series in 1997 and managed to let the other team tie and then go on to defeat us in extra innings? I mean we can go down the list if you’d like, but I hope you have lots of time. The Cavs will be tested in the playoffs. That is a fact, but until then, sit down, shut up and enjoy the ride because we won’t coast forever.

Here’s a random poem I wrote. Surprisingly, it has nothing to do with sports.


The Aftermath

Tears fall
And words stay still
Everything about the moment is wrong
There’s movement and nothing
There are frozen thoughts and frantic eyes
And a failure to break the silence
That’s the aftermath of the wrong phrase
Said out loud.



Status: Finally done with the hard work and looking forward to relaxing a little and posting an update to my group.

No comments: