Monday, October 6, 2014

Raven-Symone is Right



For the most part, labels suck. Labels put you in a box and then people freak out when you try to step outside the box. Unfortunately, labeling is easy. It helps sort people into simplistic categories. I don't see anything wrong with Raven-Symone not wanting to be labeled as gay or African-American. A label free America is my idea of Utopia, yet even I, as much as I dislike labels, still own the labels that I have been given and still assign labels to others. It's not right, but I do it.  
I don't like being called African-American. My parents are not from Africa. Both of my parents have solid American roots that contain slave and Native American ancestors. I am probably more "American" than many Americans. 

I wrote this poem over two years ago, but today seems like a good day to post it again:

Simply American

Let’s forget for a second that you and I have different complexions
Let’s pretend like we don’t see color or pick up subtle inflections
I will call you my brother because we are a part of the human race
And you will look me in my eyes when you look at my face
You will respect my right to live in a land my ancestors helped build
And you won’t question why I’m in the house instead of the field
We will fight and argue like all families do
But when push comes to shove, I will be right beside you
And one day we will see with our own eyes
That I am an American, no hyphen, no other A to capitalize.  

No comments: