Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What it Means to Tolerate

Tolerate: to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance; permit (dictionary.com

 Tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one’s own; freedom from bigotry. (dictionary.com

 
I’ve been trying to stay out of the whole Chick-fil-A mess, but I keep seeing articles either about it or that mention it. I don’t want to actually talk about the issue, I want to talk about the comments that I have seen about the issue. One big argument that I keep seeing is that it is hypocritical for homosexuals and their allies to boycott Chick-fil-A. The argument generally goes like this, “How can you ask people to tolerate you and your beliefs if you are unwilling to extend the same courtesy?” Clearly these individuals are not versed in the definition of tolerate. I don’t believe in abortion, but I would never argue against a woman’s right to get one. I’ve seen too many horror stories of abused children to ever make the mistake of thinking that everyone who gets pregnant should have the baby. Since I am allowing the practice of abortion without prohibition or hindrance, I am tolerating it. That’s what it means to tolerate something. 

I actually wasn’t upset by the original comments because I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. I was upset when it came out that the company has donated to “anti-gay” organizations; it was just as troubling as finding out that the lady over Susan G. Komen was bringing in 5 million dollars in salary each year. Donating to “anti-gay” organizations is contributing to the hindrance of gay rights in America. I specify “in America” for all the people who want to argue that I should also boycott buying gas because it comes from places that don’t support homosexuality. I may eventually address that issue, but for today, I’d like to focus on getting my own house (America) in order before I start worrying about other countries. 

I know some people who don’t care that a fraction of a penny of their money might be funneled to an “anti-gay” organization because they think that their dollar doesn’t matter and I respect their right to continue to buy food at Chick-fil-A. I can’t tell someone else how to spend their money, but by the same token, I have the right to decide how I want to spend my money. Truthfully, I rarely went to Chick-fil-A before all the hoopla. I was averaging about one visit a year so boycotting the establishment is pretty much business as usual for me. On the other side, I wouldn’t say that I am never going to eat a Chick-fil-A product again because I don’t know what the future holds. I’m just saying that by contributing to “anti-gay” organizations, Chick-fil-A relinquished its claim on being a tolerant organization and thus, homosexuals and their allies are not being hypocritical when they speak out against Chick-fil-A and implore people to learn to tolerate each other and our differences.

No comments: